Sunday, July 12, 2015

Living in a Tourist Town

      If you have ever lived in Branson, you know what I mean about the dangers of living in a tourist town. Sure there is always job opportunity, well at least for 9 months of the year, but is it always worth it? For basic paid jobs that you can work at any other place in America, is it worth it to work through the busy seasons like summer in Branson? I for example work at a resort in Branson, and I always wonder how much easier it would be to move back to Arkansas and start working there. I wonder if it would be less stressful. It probably doesn't help that I work at a Timeshare resort. If you know the word Timeshare, you have a negative connotation related to it. I'm impressed if I'm wrong. It is a huge business with the potential to make big bucks, but is not too fun when you work the ten dollar an hour job that basically does the bitch work for the other Timeshare departments. No complaints from me though, I am only twenty years old, and am doing pretty good for my age if I do say so myself. A benefit for me working in Branson is the fast paced environment where time goes by really fast. I hate working a slow job where you stare at the clock every two minutes. The traffic of Branson is a lot of times very frustrating as well. I find it extra annoying when you are late to work and the tourists going 20 miles an hour in front of you are the reason. There's not much thought when you're on vacation of the home life of the locals in the town you're in. I can assure you not everyone is having as good of time as you are! I'm curious what others think, especially if you've lived in Branson or a highly visited tourist destination. Is the abundance of jobs worth all the other negatives tourists bring to your hometown? I would like to know what you guys think, and hope you have an awesome day !

3 comments:

  1. Taylor,
    I think I would enjoy working in a tourist area. You have to look on the bright side when working with tourists because, let's be honest, there are too many negatives. You could be the reason some of these people have a great family vacation and that's pretty cool. I think with you being so young, and it sounds like you are making decent money, there may be room to move up. If you can handle the traffic, why not? I did enjoy reading about your insight in working in Branson. Not being from Branson, you don't really think about the locals when driving there. Hope everything works out.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worked and visited Branson my whole life. Amen to your comments on the old people driving slow and making you late. I work at a theatre down there and know that the Timeshares can be tough to work for. Hang in there. Just try to appreciate the town for what it is, A bunch of hicks trying to make a dime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have worked and visited Branson my whole life. Amen to your comments on the old people driving slow and making you late. I work at a theatre down there and know that the Timeshares can be tough to work for. Hang in there. Just try to appreciate the town for what it is, A bunch of hicks trying to make a dime.

    ReplyDelete